LAST NIGHT I DREAMT
The start of the opening line to Daphne du Maurier’s most famous novel Rebecca, thought to be one of the great opening lines in English fiction is ‘Last night I dreamt…’. We would like to invite all children and young people who live in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly to create their own original story, poem or picture of a dream they have had and enter it to become the Fowey Festival Young Writer or Young Artist of the Year 2019.
We do hope you will take part.
- Create a poem, a story, a work of art or all three and enter them to win an award.
- Poems can be up to 20 lines and short stories can be up to 200 words.
- Poem and story entries should be on A4 paper. Works of art can be pictures no bigger than A3 on paper or card.
- The Awards are open to young writers and artists up to 16 years old who live in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly.
- Closing date is 8 March 2019. Entry is free.
- Winning and commended entries will be displayed in the Church during the Fowey Festival of Arts and Literature 11–18 May 2019. The winning and second place pictures will be framed and exhibited in The Fowey River Gallery.
- Young Artist of the Year Awards and Young Writer of the Year Awards will be presented together with prizes totalling £600 during the Fowey Festival of Arts and Literature.
- First and Second prizes for works of art, poems and stories will be awarded in each of 3 groups: Infant, Junior and Secondary. Writers’ and artists’ ages and any special needs will be taken into account during judging.
Prizes for the best Poetry and Stories provided by the Daphne du Maurier Festival Society
Prizes for the best Works of Art provided by The Art Society Bodmin
Winning pictures framed by Atishoo Gallery
Individual Entries can be posted to 28 Lankelly Lane, Fowey PL23 1HN, or dropped in to The Fowey River Gallery, 38 Fore Street, Fowey PL23 1AQ, Monday to Saturday between 10am and 5pm. Envelopes should be marked Fowey Festival Awards for Young Writers and Artists with an entry form for each work of art, poem or story.
Click here to print off an individual entry form (word doc).
Schools and multiple entries
Schools can send or drop in multiple entries using this form
Click here to print off a schools and multiple entries entry form (word doc).
Individual poems and stories can also be submitted online using the form below. Please do not use the online form for multiple entries or artwork.
Online entry form for individual poems and stories only, not artwork or multiple entries. All artwork should be posted to the address above, or dropped in to The Fowey River Gallery.
38 Fore Street, Fowey PL23 1AQ, Monday to Saturday between 10am and 5pm